Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Best Laid Plans

So nothing today has gone like I expected it to. Par for the course with two small children, I realize, but there are still quite a few days when I'm able to steer the course with fair accuracy. Not so much today.

It started out with a doctor's appointment for Nathan, my two-month-old. He needed some shots and then I was supposed to meet with their lactation consultant to discuss why I have been having stabbing, excruciating pain when he latches on for the past couple of weeks. He's not a newborn, this shouldn't be happening, and I need help. My husband was supposed to pick up our daughter from preschool and take her home so that I could make these appointments, but when I was literally pulling out of our driveway, he called to say that there was an emergency at work and he couldn't pick her up. I'd have to cancel the appointment and go get her myself.

Needless to say, I was unhappy. I don't want to dread nursing, and right now, I do. It hurts so damn much. But nevertheless, I had to reschedule the appointment for Friday.

This afternoon, after I had gotten everyone home, I had high hopes of getting them both to sleep at the same time. That way, I could eat and then if the baby stayed asleep, I could have some good one-on-one time with my daughter, who has been all sorts of awful toddler crazy lately. But the baby has yet (even now) to sleep more than 10-15 minutes at a time today, and he didn't stay asleep, so I had to juggle them both, as well as still more painful nursing sessions. Oh, and eating? Yeah, right.

Even now when it is early evening, I just nursed and walked the baby until he was asleep while my husband took Sabrina, our two-year-old, to the park. (Yes, he does have some redeeming qualities.) But the baby is already fussing, so he's obviously STILL not asleep. Lest I think I could actually get anything done the way I want it to be done today. Foolish me.

No comments: