Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Confessions of a (non) aerobic dance queen

So I was at the gym yesterday working out and while I was working out, I was watching what looked like an aerobic step class in action. The classroom has full-length windows, so it's not like I was spying. But I couldn't help watching them throughout my own workout, as I moved from machine to machine, lifting weights.

I will never be an aerobics or step class kind of person. This is not meant to be disparaging, it's more a statement of what I just don't think I *can* do than what I *want* to do. The class seemed to have many choreographed patterns to it, with arms swinging, jumping, lifting legs in complicated movements...Me, I'm hopelessly uncoordinated and I have trouble judging depth, so I wouldn't leap on and off of the step gracefully without having to look carefully each time to make sure I was actually making it on the darn thing.

Nope, I'm pretty darn sure you will never find me in that kind of class. Or if you do, I'll be the one in the back, laughing at herself and embarrassed because she can't keep up and can't keep the patterns straight and just missed jumping on the step entirely.

I'm all for working out, and I do try to do it faithfully. But I guess I'll just always be an elliptical/weight lifting kind of girl. But I will be the one who is gazing respectfully and a little wistfully into the window of your step class. If you are the type of girl/guy who does that class and does it even somewhat well, my hat's off to you. Wish I could join you.

No comments: