Sunday, January 18, 2009

Holding a grudge

Have you ever found yourself holding a grudge against your child? I have to admit, I'm holding one this morning. Sabrina was up for hours last night, calling me every 10-15 minutes just to tell me she didn't want to sleep. And I admit, I got good and mad after the first few trips to her room. She didn't need anything, she had already been taken to the potty, and I knew that if she would just lay down and was quiet, she'd fall asleep. Sitting up in bed and calling for me wasn't going to help anything.

And yet, call she did. I finally told her that she had lost her treat for today (she can earn a sticker or watching part of a favorite movie every day through good behavior), and that I was simply not coming back into her room until morning. And she was finally, finally! quiet.

But I was mad. I'm 5 months pregnant and exhausted on a general basis. I don't mind getting up with the kids when they legitimately need something, but this was just 4-year-old irrationality at its best.

And I'm still mad this morning. I realize, by the way, that it isn't fair. She's a kid, I'm the adult. She did in fact eventually go to sleep, and so did I. And she's totally over it. I'm just not. But I'm trying. I realize it makes no sense to still be mad. She doesn't deserve it.

But I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of having sleep robbed from me. And it's only going to get worse - baby #3 still has yet to arrive. Will I ever sleep well again?

No comments: