Monday, January 19, 2009

The potty diaries

So the potty chronicles continue. Nathan has realized that he has power over the situation and things came pretty much to a standstill. He didn't want to go potty, didn't want to be taken to the potty, etc., etc.

It was at the point where we either upped the ante or gave up, and I personally think inconsistency makes things worse with kids. So we went to Target and stocked up on Hot Wheels cars and even a few Thomas trains to reward him with when he finally did his business in the potty.

It seems to be working at least to some degree, since he'll agree to go sit on the potty and will stay there (most of the time) until something happens. There have still been a couple of puddles on the floor today, but I feel much less like I'm going to go crazy trying to get this little guy to make the connection.

I'm not saying this the ideal way of doing it. But we're trying and we're trying to do it in a good, fair, and supportive way for him. And I'd really like him to be potty trained by May, when the baby is due. So if I look at it in a long-term view like that, I can deal. I guess. Although I really am sick of puddles on the floor.

No comments: